Tuesday, October 23, 2012

I think it's time to go back to the future...

This is going to be a serious post/rant, but I just can not be silent on these issues.  I am fed up with and sick and tired of this "war on women."  I can not believe that in the year 2012(!!!) a presidential candidate for the United States of America is talking about "binders full of women."  I can not believe that this candidate seems to believe that the only thing women need to be equal in the workplace is the opportunity to leave work in time to get home to make dinner.  I can not believe that a woman who spoke out for access to affordable birth control was called a slut and a whore.  I can not believe that a bill to give equal pay to women did not pass in congress.  I can not believe that a member of the U.S. senate believes that A) women's bodies have some magical power to stop pregnancy in the case of rape and B) there needs to be a qualifying word (legitimate) in front of the word rape.  I could go on and on, but I think its time to stop now...  It seems like every day there is a new thing said that shows that there are still many, many men (and people in general) out there who do not view women as equals to men.  And in fact, think men are better.  Unless, you are looking for someone to raise kids, cook, and/or clean.  Women are good at that.

And now on top of all this SHIT, a production company is looking to make a reality TV show with women "working towards their most important career goal yet ... becoming a wife!"  No.  Just, no.  This is not ok.  I don't mean that it shouldn't or can't be your priority to find a husband.  You need to pursue what will make you happy.  That's pretty much what equality is all about.  But women still only earn 77% of what men with the same qualifications earn.  And there are only 19 female CEOs of Fortune 500 companies (that's only 3.8%).  Even scientists are biased against women (although unfortunately that's not that surprising).  A recent study found that a candidate for a lab technician position was rated as less competent and hirable if the only difference on the resume was that there was a female name attached to it instead of a male name.  And I'm sure you all remember the EU's sexist, stereotyped campaign to try to attract girls to science.

I have not worked as hard as I have to have some reality show come along and give people the idea that  I'm only putting myself through grad school hell so I can find a husband.  Apparently, men go to grad school to educate themselves, pursue their interests, and further their careers, but women only go to find themselves a good man.  Let's set women back 60 years or more with one TV show!  No.  I want to be taken seriously as a student, a scientist, and whatever the hell I choose to be when I grow up and that's going to be harder if people have even the tiniest idea in the furthest depths of their brains that I may have just gone to grad school to find a husband.

Women have come a loooong way though over the past several decades.  The women who came before us had to fight for the right to vote, the right to an education equal to that of a man's, and the right to pursue a career outside the home.  We need to keep fighting.  Not only for our children and the women who will come after us, but also to honor the women who fought for all the rights we currently enjoy.  And for ourselves.  If women continue to speak out and say, "No, that's not ok", I think we can make a big difference that we can enjoy during our careers and our lifetimes.

Which is why I am no longer just going to complain to my friends, labmates, and others who think similarly to me.  I am going to speak up.  I am writing a strongly worded letter to the production company to explain why this show is damaging to women.  I hope they will listen.  I encourage all of you to also write a letter (I couldn't find contact information for the company so I plan on emailing my letter to address in the casting call) or write on the Facebook page for the production group.

It's time to remind everyone that women are people too.

No comments:

Post a Comment